Home / Heating / Infrared Heating / Illuminated heater: Extra flat heating with a built-in customisable light (español – français)
The slimline illuminated heater: undeniable competitive advantages
Share this page
The extra flat heater + low energy LED lighting duo
In recent years the LED lighting has been increasingly becoming an unavoidable design element.
It is therefore logical that some heater manufacturers offer an optional lighting solution to associate with their heaters. LED lighting, beyond the characteristics of low consumption, has great potential in terms of integration and customisation of lighting atmosphere.
Wall mounted illuminated heater
The desired effect with an illuminated wall heater can vary depending on the objectives:
- emphasise and highlight a decorative heater as a sculpture or work of art
- combine heating and lighting fonctions in order to gain living space
Today, the wide variety of designer heaters offered by the manufacturers allow to easily integrate the heater into the room decoration. Adding a lighting kit or function is a new demand with a still reduced offer. You should not consider involving an independent lighting to an existing heater unless this kit is recommended by the manufacturer.
Ceiling mounted illuminated heater
The ceiling positioning of infrared radiant heaters has been a rising trend (especially in Germany and Austria). In fact, ceiling positioning of the heater bring a number of advantages:
- The effective positioning of a slimline radiant heater is facilitated. On the ceiling, the constraints related to the furbishing and layout are strongly reduced. Also in many cases, the heat diffusion in the room is optimised (reduction of consumption and improved thermal comfort).
- The integration possibilities of the heater as a design element (partially or totally integrated to the ceiling) are generally greater than on the wall.
- This positioning provides an additional space saving.
Principle of ceiling installation using an embedded niche:
- The heater is located in the niche in order to hide its thickness and to place it at the same level as the ceiling.
- A system of 4 aluminum rails is fixed between the frame of the niche and the surface of the ceiling (plasterboard for example). That maintains a ventilation space between the heater and the LEDs (situated on the rails) and so reduces the operating temperature of the LEDs.
- In the central part of the niche a mounting system (by plates and anti-releasing conical studs) allows the attachment of the heater to the ceiling.
It is necessary to assure that the manufacturer has a mounting system allowing a ceiling installation because cases of unhooking of medium range heaters were reported. Moreover, to avoid disappointment, only the LED lighting kit provided by the manufacturer is to be consider (sometimes significant thermal constraints). The bottom of the niche must withstand high temperatures.
Principle of direct installation on the heater (ceiling or wall mounted):
- The lighting kit is directly fixed to the rear and periphery of the heater. An insulating material allows to reduce the temperature rise of LEDs by conduction.
Zoom on the lighting of decorative heaters
LED kits offered by the manufacturers are depending on the cases:
- adaptable to an existing heater,
- only provided with the initial order as installed during manufacturing.
Adjustable colour temperature for different luminous environment
Example of blocks to be embedded, lighting in the form of rigid led strip or in the form of spotlights
The lighting kits have the following features:
- direct or indirect light or both (depending on the amount of rails),
- embedded high temperature resistance LED strip or spotlights (independent of the heater),
- mounted on the frame of the heater itself or on the periphery of the ceiling block in the case of an embedded element (the heater is in a niche at the same level as the ceiling),
- gradation of the light intensity (dimmer) by button or independent remote control,
- colour temperature control to fit all desired atmospheres,
- supply by electric line independent of the heater.
Guarantees are generally 2 years on the lighting kit.
example of ceiling-embedded illuminated heater
to highlight your heater or simply create a luminous atmosphere
Discover the latest innovations of leading companies in terms of illuminated heaters:
To know more about: about the technology of electric infrared heating
To learn more: How to customise and order my lighting?